Friday, July 22, 2011

Rejection


Daddy is camping with his graduate school friends in 95 degree heat. Meanwhile, Thiz, you and I have been attempting to have some quality time. Except we went to Minneapolis and Gak and Ampa took over and then I didn't really see you for 48 hours but did manage to read the first 100 pages of Lolita and write 2,000 words. So that was good.

Last night, when it was time to go to bed, I walked into the sunroom to whisk you up the stairs. You were sitting on the couch next to Gak. The following is a word-for-word transcription of our conversation:
Me (brightly): Hey sweetie, it's time to go to bed now.
You (pointedly): Book.
Me: You already read a book with grandma.
You (emphatically): BOOK.
Me (resignedly): OK, we can read one more book.
[You proffer "Bambi." I sit down on the couch beside you and open "Bambi."
You (archly): No. Gak.
Me (apathetically): OK. Gak can read the book.
You: Go. Away. Mama.

Yep, that's right. Your second sentence EVER consisted of telling me to fuck off. It was the sentence equivalent of "Bup." So I sulked off dejectedly to the computer room.

30 seconds later you came dashing in. "Hug!" you said. "Really?" I said. "Hug!" you said again in a tone that sounded like you were asking for fifty push-ups in glaring Arizona sunshine. "OK," I said, lifting you onto my lap. You hugged. You kissed. "Did Gak make you do that?" I asked. "Yes," you said, "Buh-bye!" And you were gone.

3 comments:

  1. awww. it won't be long until Julia can tell me to fuck off too. i can see it in her eyes when I tell her NO! a slight narrowing of the eyes and the mind churning, deciding if this is a good moment to freak out or not. it's actually kind of adorable. probably not so much when she's 15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool Sharing ! Cute baby and beautiful smile on face. nice hair i like it. good one
    Bed and Breakfast Brugge

    ReplyDelete
  3. i cant use the word F*&K around my kid yet but i sing dirty hip hop lyrics to him and he dances! does that make me a bad parent :)

    ReplyDelete