Sunday, November 28, 2010

Golden Delicious



Last night when you went to bed, you seemed quite well. You've had a runny nose since September and a nighttime cough for the last three weeks or so, but generally you seemed your regular perky self.

Until around 8:15 when Daddy went into your bedroom to give you some cough medicine and found you slithering around in your own vomit. All over your sleeper, in your hair, smeared across Doggie-Do and Mr. Meow, etc, etc. I lifted you up and you vomited on me. I gave you a bath while Daddy cleaned up your crib and I washed your hair and put you snugly into a new sleeper. You vomited again. On me and on the sleeper, of course. So I waited 15 minutes, rocked you a little, sang some sweet songs, changed you into another sleeper, rocked you to sleep in my arms, held you sleeping for fifteen minutes, laid you back down in your crib. And--

Yep, that's right, more vomiting. Well, by this time, more like dry heaving. But with bile. New sleeper, new crib sheets. This time I had Daddy put an old comforter on our bed and I took you in with me and snuggled you close, the smell of vomit still lingering in your hair, the unmistakable coating of vomit on your breath--and we slept--until you vomited again, and again. By 11pm the Great Expulsion of 2010 was complete and we both slept. Kind of.

Today, with the exception of two fairly lengthy naps (YAHOO!) all was back to normal. No fever, no cough, you being your usual sparkly self.

You have refused all forms of sustenance except apples. In this sense, you may share some bizarre gene with your godparents. Which is appropriate since today is the first anniversary of your baptism!

Sometimes we are baptized with water. Sometimes with fire. Sometimes with the Holy Spirit. And sometimes with straight up vomit. Amen! Alleluia! Let advent begin!

1 comment:

  1. Hurray for the glorious healing power of apples! Sorry to hear the Thiz was so ill! Puking is no fun. Yucky yucky.

    ReplyDelete