Tuesday, July 13, 2010

For Realsies


At one point does one proclaim to the world that a baby is officially walking? Probably only after the baby has achieved a certain amount of balance, a certain trust in her lower limbs, a certain obviously recognizable ability to get from point A to point B while remaining upright. Are you, according to this definition, walking? Well, not exactly. But almost.

10 steps in a row tonight. But more importantly, you finally GET it and you WANT it. Up until today, your ability to take steps depended on your lack of intentionality about the whole endeavor. You did it randomly, mindlessly, haphazardly. Tonight, you realized you could WALK places and now you're on fire. The main problem is that now you get so excited to try that sometimes you don't fully get your balance (while upright) before taking the first step. You then look as though you're at sea during a hurricane.

I'm posting a photo and a video. The video doesn't show your full range of capabilities--a measly 4 steps when you're capable of 10--but I think you'll get the idea. The photo shows you at the end of a parade of steps; you began next to the wicker basket that sits behind you in the photo.

Also, I am becoming more and more aware of my identity as an obnoxious mom. Because seriously, if a bumper sticker existed that said "My Baby Took 10.5 Steps Today," that shit would be plastered on the back of my Honda. I guess that's the way I roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment